Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Emmaline Laura Todd












On October 2, 2011 at 1:03pm Emmaline Laura Todd made her grand entrance in the world weighing 6 pounds 9 ounces and 20 inches long.  Getting her to this world was one long day!!! I was due September 29 and obviously I went over due.  On Saturday I went into the doctor and I toxemia. They strapped me up to a machine to see how Emmaline was doing and she wasn't doing very well.  At that time I was informed that Emmaline and I wouldn't make it through a regular delivery and that I would need a C-Section.  The doctor sent me home and told me to come to the hospital that night and to plan on staying.  I was working all day trying to get my homework done and trying to come to terms with the fact that I was getting a C-Section.  I didn't want a C-Section and the thought of it just scared me.  So we went into the hospital and waited to see what was going to happen.  After being admitted the doctor came in and said that Emmaline looked a little better and that I could do a vaginal delivery. I was relived that I wouldn't have to get a C-Section.  The doctor decided to give me a pill to thin out my cervix and then he would break my water and start me on pitocin.  So I took this pill and they gave me a sleeping pill and I just went to sleep.  Sometime in the early morning the doctor came and broke my water.  Shortly after that I started contractions on my own.  They weren't that bad but they started getting worse. When I asked the nurse for an epidural she said I had to wait.  I DID NOT WANT TO WAIT ANYMORE! I kept asking for it and she kept saying I had to wait.  Finally I got my epidural and it worked wonders! Once they gave me the pitocin things started picking up.  When it was time to push I pushed, but Emmaline's heart rate would drop and took a long time to come back up.  So they had me stop pushing for 30-45 minutes! It was awful! Once the doctor got there and saw me push once he said that we needed to get the baby out now or do an emergency C-Section.  I pushed and pushed and he turned her and then got the forceps and was pulling so hard that I was being pulled off the table.  Once her head came out we realized the cord was around her neck so tight that he couldn't get his finger around it to cut it so he had to use instruments.  Once it was cut I could continue pushing.  Once she was all the way he set her on my stomach.  As I went to pick her up he informed the nurses that Emmaline needed help and to get her out.  They took her to the table and let Bryant cut the remaining cord and this whisked Emmaline off to the NICU.  I had no idea what was going on and where my baby was.  I waited and waited for what seemed like forever and then they let up know she was in the NICU and doing well but that she needed to stay there and be watched for a little bit.  Bryant and the doctor got to go see her while I waited.  I hated waiting! I was able to get cleaned up and then I was moved to the recovery room.  At that time I finally got to meet Emmaline! It was so fun and I immediately fell in love with her! The hospital was amazing and they spoiled me to death! Being home Bryant and I have had such a fun time figuring everything out.  We love out little Emmaline to death!

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I found your blog, and I'm re-posting because I had a typo on my last one. But anyways, I'm an avid blog reader, and will be checking in from time to time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Drama, drama, drama Kendra! Well, I'm glad that through all of it she arrived healthy and you avoided the c-section. Can I just say that I think it is amusing that she was 6 lb. 9 oz. and Rhys was 9 lb. 6 oz. :o) Wishing you guys as much sleep as possible! Congrats again!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooooray for posts and birth stories!!! We can't wait to meet little Emmaline in 54 days...yeah yeah we're kind of excited to see you guys too, I guess :) Congratulations again, welcome Emmaline and we love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you posted about everything. We can't wait to meet the little gal. I hope you survive the next few weeks till school is over!

    ReplyDelete

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

We have been married for...

Daisypath Anniversary tickers